Member Spotlight: Walker Meats


Originally started by brothers Bobby and Donald Walker over 30 years ago, Walker Meats has grown from a small slaughterhouse into a local food distributor and their famous Walker Brunswick Stew serves customers in Georgia, Alabama and Florida.  They carry a full line of food products as well as paper goods.  Walk-in business is always welcome.  Their facility is located at 821 Tyus-Carrollton Road in Carrollton.  They can be reached at 770.834.8171


Q & A Session with owner Donald Walker


What is unique about your business?
We are a food service distribution company but we are one of the few that delivers and services customers on a route truck.  Your delivery driver is also your sales representative meaning they know your business intricately.


When did you consider yourself a success?
I never have.  I don't know that I'm successful.  I have been able to stay in business all of these years and maintain a good relationship with my customers, but I am not rich.  I have made a good living here.


What is your key driving force to become an entrepreneur?
I wanted to be my own boss.

How do you build a successful customer base?
Good service and communication

How do you market your business and what tactics have been most successful?  
Mostly word of mouth and years of being established in the community.  Quality employees that improve the company image also help market the business.


What was your biggest "A-ha" moment?  
You only ever see that in hindsight.  The best thing we ever did was buy Duffey Foods in order to make us a successful distribution company.  That gave us a real product to distribute that we made ourselves.


What do you look for in an employee?  Best hiring tip.
Dependability, loyalty, honesty and good work ethics are a must.  We hire local and look at family history and who you know -- basically references matter.


What is your greatest fear and how do you manage fear?
The only thing that ever troubles me is the fear of some sort of natural disaster and a complete loss of our facility.  The idea of things we can't control affecting our ability to do our jobs and take care of our customers and our employees.  I manage that by putting my trust in God and knowing that is in his will.


What is your favorite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
I don't have to ask anybody's permission.

What key activities would you recommend entrepreneurs to invest their time in?  
Education:  learn as much as you can about what you want to do.


Who has been your biggest inspiration?  
Probably Mr. Duffey and my father.  They told you up front what they expected.


What did you learn from the worst boss you ever had?
I have never had a bad boss or anyone I didn't respect.  I have only ever worked for three people other than myself and they were Mr. Duffey, Henry Burson, and my father.  I have been very fortunate.

                        

                                                               The Walker family 








Comments

Popular Posts